Thursday, April 23, 2009


I am very excited to write about the birth of our son, Lincoln! He was born on Sunday, April 19th at 3:32 pm. Weight was 7 pounds, 5 ounces. Length was 20.5 inches. Came out screaming with a cone head!
My labor began on Saturday night with slight cramps that gradually became more intense. I started timing them around 11 pm and they were about 15 minutes apart. I had a feeling something was going to be happening soon so I checked over my bag and added some things I would be needing. Bill had gone to a beer bar to meet with some friends and I called him around 1:30 am Sunday to let him know about my cramps.
I didn't sleep at all that night. I began writing down the would be contractions at 1:00 am and they were 7 to 10 minutes apart. At 2:00 I woke up my mom and told her what was going on. She was so excited! Bill came home soon after and since my pains weren't becoming more intense or closer together, we all decided to go to bed for awhile. I didn't sleep because of the intensifying pain. At 4:00 I started recording the times again and they were 5 to 7 minutes apart. At 5:00 I called the doctor and she told me to go to the hospital.
In the truck the contractions became stronger and closer together where I had to breathe heavily and grab the door handle. We arrived at 6:00 and was admitted soon after. The nurse reported that I was 3 cm dilated:) I was taken up to the 2nd floor to the room that I would endure the remainder of my labor and eventually deliver.
The fun continued. My nurse, Carla, was fabulous! I managed to deal with the contractions until I was 7 cm dilated. By then the contractions were strong and not having any breaks in between. Even though I really didn't want one, I decided to have the epidural. My fear about not feeling my legs was at ease because they really didn't go numb. The last 3 cm came a bit slower, and my nurse thought it was because my water needed to be broken. When the OB, Dr. Bray finally arrived, (she was at the other hospital delivering another baby) I was comfortable, but anxious to get this show on the road. She broke my water and things progressed.
At 3:00 I was ready to push. There really wasn't much pain, just pressure. At 3:32 Licoln popped out, screaming bloody murder. Dr. Bray handed him to me and after a bit the nurse took him aside to be cleaned off. Bill and my mom took pictures while Dr. Bray stitched me up (I had a bit of tearing). Lincoln's apgar scores were 9's both times.
After about an hour I was sent upstairs to the mother/baby unit for my 2 day recovery. My nurses were wonderful the whole time I was there. If I ever choose to go through this whole ordeal again, I would definitely return to this hospital!
On the 21st Lincoln and I were released to come home. Everything went smoothly (with the exception of Bill's court case that held him up half the day). Introducing Mercury to Lincoln was very cute to watch. She is adapting quite nicely, with just a little bit of pouting jealousy.
So, even though I complained a lot about being pregnant, I am glad to have gone through it to have Lincoln. So far he is just a joy to have!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! I'm glad everything went so well Jessica! Thanks for sharing your story. Can't wait to meet the little guy. If you guys make it up to WI this summer we'll have to try to meet up. He is just beautiful. Congrats!!!