Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Busy New Parents

Needless to say, I've been a little busy the past 3 weeks. Lincoln is quite the piece of work. He has a little personality developing and can be stubborn. We have several nicknames for him including Sour Face, Little Bird, and Peanut. We mock him with his cries and it seems to tick him off because he "talks" back.
Breast feeding has turned out to be a difficult experience for me. I was (and still am) all for it, but I am in constant pain. Last week I went to see a lactation nurse at the hospital and she gave me some good tips, but the pain returned. I think it's just me being too sensitive and Lincoln clamping down. The pump isn't offering any relief. Sometime I feel nauseous. Either way, I dread the feedings by the breast or pumping. Our pediatrician told us we needed to supplement with formula because Lincoln was not gaining weight. He is consuming mostly formula now and I pump 2 to 3 times a day. While I had hoped to breast feed until returning to school in August, I am guessing Lincoln will be completely on formula by mid June.
The fun journey to regaining my figure has begun. Since having Lincoln, I am down 18 pounds. To get back to my pre-pregnancy weight I still have 26 more pounds to loose! It seems like a lot, but I lost a larger amount 5 years ago. I know what I need to do. My goal is to be at that beginning weight before school starts again in August. Yesterday I went for my first jog since January. I had been walking over 2 miles 4 times a week already. Maybe next week I will attempt a spin class. I think my stitches have pretty much healed where I can tolerate sitting on a bicycle again.
So far, Bill and I are handling the parent thing pretty well. Neither of us are exhausted. This past week I have been getting 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night because Bill takes over the night feedings. Once he goes back to work next week, that may change, but I'm hoping Lincoln will begin sleeping a bit more at night. He is eating every 3 to 4 hours now (thanks to the formula).
Mercury is adapting wonderfully! She seems unaffected by the crying. At first she was a bit jealous, but we continue to allow her to sleep with us at night and take her for walks/bike rides every day. In time, I think she will be protective of Lincoln.

No comments: